What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stupendous Spinach Souffle


When I was a child one of my absolute favorite things to have for dinner was Stouffer's Spinach Souffle. I know it sounds odd, but when my mom took me to the grocery I would literally beg for her to buy it.  I won't reveal my age. But, obviously, these were not the days when there was junk food at every turn packaged in your child's favorite cartoon character! Although I don't eat milk, dairy or eggs- probably because of the sense of comfort and reminiscence of my childhood- I still have cravings for this dish.

A few years ago, I tried my hand at making a healthier version of my childhood favorite and it has become a favorite in my household now. This Stupendous Spinach Souffle is so easy to make (you can prepare it in under 5 minutes- I promise) and it is also dairy and gluten free.

Not only is it great for dinner- either as a side or a main course- but it is also rich and creamy and great to bring to parties as a dip for pita or even crudite.

Spinach Souffler (Dairy & Gluten-free)
1 package frozen spinach (preferably organic)
1-2 cups dairy-free grated "mozzarella cheese" (I use Daiya, which tastes and melts just like the real thing)
3-4 tbsp Tofutti "sour cream" (ditto above- tastes soooo good!)
Olive oil (approx 2-4 tbsp as desired but not necessary)
Gluten-free breadcrumbs
Sea salt
1-2 garlic cloves

Place garlic in food processor to chop. Add spinach, 1/2-3/4 cups "cheese," 3-4 tbsp "sour cream", a bit of olive oil (if desired- gives it richer taste,) and a dash of sea salt. Process until fairly smooth and place in 1 large or a few small casserole dishes.

Cover top with breadcrumbs then more grated "cheese."

Cook in oven at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and the top is golden brown. Yum, Yum, Yum!

This whole recipe makes a dish containing 18 g of protein, 43% daily requirements of iron, 133% of the daily requirements of vitamin C and 28% of the daily requirement for calcium!

As you can see, my daughter devoured it!

1 comment:

  1. YUM YUM Daiya cheese is some great stuff!

    Pure2raw Twins

    ReplyDelete