What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cheesy Kale Chips


After yesterdays rant about how milk does not help our kids grow, my post today is a bit lighter!

Locinato kale was back in stock at the grocery store today and looked so fresh and vibrant so I bought a bunch to use for my salads, in my green juices juices and to make kale chips this week!


Tiring of paying $9 per box for my favorite New York Naturals Cheesy Kale Chips, I decided to take matters into my own hands and try to make them. It was so incredibly easy I can't believe I haven't done it before!!!

I based my recipe off the box of New York Naturals and just tweeked it a bit. Here is how I did it:


Cheesy Kale Chips
1 head locinato kale
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup tahini
1/2 red pepper
6-8 tablespoons Raw Parma (or nutritional yeast)
Juice of 1 lemon
Dash of sea salt
Optional: cayenne pepper if you like spicy (I didn't use it in mine!)
Water

Combine all of the ingredients (aside, of course, for the kale) into a food processor and run until smooth. Add water very slowly until reaches desired consistency. Here is what mine looked like!

The great thing about this cheese is that if you have any leftover you can use it on sandwiches, raw burgers or even as a dressing or topping for salads or veggies!

In a bowl, chopped the kale into 1/4 inch slices and put in a bowl with cheesy mixture.

Flatten on a sheet and place in your dehydrator for approximately 12 hours (I did it overnight) until crispy. Depending on how goopy you make your chips, it make take a shorter or longer amount of time. If you do not have a dehydratordo not despair...you can place the chips in your oven at 175 degrees with the door open for a hour or so (checking frequently of course.)

Here is what they should look like in the morning!


Caroline and I had these today as a side dish with our lunches and they were so delicious and just as good (or better!) than the store bought ones! Later in the week I am going to try to replicate their New York Natural's Bombay Ranch Kale Chips!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. Just "randomly" saw your FB post! Cheesy Kale chips are my all time fav! I'm on it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever try the Bombay Ranch recipe?

    ReplyDelete