What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Chocolate and Vanilla Coconut Cream Pudding


People always ask me, "so, how do you stay on a vegan diet?" I am not (and have never been) a meat-lover so becoming a vegetarian was fairly easy feat for me. But, I have to admit  that rich and creamy foods were the foods I craved in my former life. So, when I take my daughter to 16 Handles (frozen yogurt lover's paradise) or see someone devouring a container of creamy Fage Greek yogurt, I am sometimes tempted until I remind myself how much better I feel not eating dairy!

Having a healthy arsenol of foods to fall back on when so you don't feel deprived I found is key. My absolute favorite go-to food for dessert/treat/breakfast is Coconut Cream Pudding! Not only is it very easy to make but it is also outrageously delicious! Here is the basic recipe:

Coconut Cream Pudding
2 cups of coconut meat (you can also use 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconuts)
¼ cup agave nectar
1 vanilla bean
Touch of water or coconut water (as needed for desired consistency)
Optional: Oh Alaska Chocolate Sauce, Shredded Coconuts, Blueberries (as you can see, I went for them all!)

Place the coconut meat or shredded coconut in a blender along with the agave, vanilla and a touch of coconut or filtered water and blend. If you are using shredded coconut, be sure to soak it for 15-20 minutes or so in water to soften (and you can use this same water to add back to your mixture!) If you are going the "fresh" route you can either open the coconuts (watch this video to see How to Open a Coconut) or use frozen meat. Blend for approximately 2-5 minutes or until smooth. It may be slightly warm when you take it out so put the pudding in the refrigerator to cool off and thicken. 


Here are my two favorite new finds! Exotic Superfoods Frozen Coconut Meat and Coconut Water!!! You can either order these directly from them or, if you live in New York, purchase them from High Vibe. These are staples that I just keep in the freezer to pull out when I need them.
 
If you don't have these, don't fret! Shredded coconut and boxed coconut waters like One and Vita Coco will do as well!!!

So, here is where is gets fun! If you adore chocolate like I do, take half of your pudding mixture above (or just make double the amount) and make a chocolate pudding from it. So easy.


Chocolate Coconut Pudding

Vanilla coconut pudding
1-1 1/2 tbsps unsweetened chocolate powder
2 tbsp agave nectar
Continue to blend in your blender and chill. I love taking the Coconut Cream Pudding and making a dallop on top like whipped cream!!! So delicious and completely hits the spot!

1 comment:

  1. So delicious! Thank you for sharing. I really like coconut a lot.

    ReplyDelete